Buying or taking used furniture might seem like a great idea or deal until you take it home and realize it is infested with Bedbugs. Bedbugs do not only infest the mattress and box spring but they will also infest the tiny cracks and crevices of furniture such as bed frames, headboards, night stands, dressers, tables and desks. Before you take or buy that piece of furniture be sure to follow these six (6) simple tips.
Fecal spots on the back of a headboard
- Inspect the furniture’s cracks and crevices thoroughly for live insects and dark brown specks (fecal stains)
- If possible, wrap the furniture in plastic before transport and tie it to your car roof-top if you can
- Vacuum all cracks and crevices thoroughly, remove and discard the vacuum bag or empty the canister outside
- Paint the furniture being sure to cover all cracks and crevices
- If painting is not an option, use clear silicone caulk to seal the cracks and crevices
- Fill screw, nail and staple holes with wood-filler or sealant
Bedbugs are transient insects and spread from place to place by “hitching” rides on people’s belongings. Being aware and preventing their proliferation is the “silver bullet” to ending the terror they are creating in some areas.
For more information on Bedbugs, read our Bedbug Frequently Asked Questions.